Long Term Construction Time lapse Project
I’m just back from setting up another long(ish) term time lapse for a construction project. Everything went fine, apart from the obvious problem of having a patterned window to shoot through! A quick summary of the setup is as follows:
- Power supply - (found this one on ebay http://goo.gl/Rs6fL)
- Standard Camera USB cable- Type A Male to 5 Pin Mini-B Male
- Canon 20D Digital SLR
- 17-40 Canon L lens
- GB Time lapse (http://goo.gl/vTvmk)
- Dell Latitude laptop
Instead of regurgitating the details of a time lapse configuration, I’m going to outline a few quick tips I found important for this particular setup.
- cover the viewfinder - this prevents stray light from entering the camera. A piece of insulating tape will do the trick
- make sure your laptop’s power settings have been configured correctly. Last thing you need is for the laptop to go into standby during your shoot
- be careful with your camera’s positioning and the sun. Lens flare can be a big issue. Ensure you have a lens hood.
I’ll follow this up with an explanation of the GB Timelapse software, and all going well, a sample from my first shoot.